Friday, June 17, 2005

#30 The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency

I'm not necessarily a mystery reader, although I read a lot of them as a child growing up (Nancy Drew, Agatha Christie, and so on). There's been a lot of talk lately about Alexander McCall Smith and his No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, and upon the recommendation of Sarah Weinman, who loves all of the books, I decided to read the first one. And, I'm hooked. Seriously. I loved the story, the writing and especially Precious Ramotswe, the main character in the series.

Upon the death of her father, Mma Ramotswe inherits his cattle, promptly sells them and opens up the one and only ladies' detective agency in Botswana. She solves crimes, but not the gruesome-Hollywood sort; instead, they're tales of straying husbands, lost children and everyday life in Africa. It's a marvelous little book, a perfect quick summer read, and one I could not put down.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...