Tuesday, June 08, 2010

#22 - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

I was sitting with an author yesterday speaking with them about the web, how to use it, what's important, how and why to blog, etc., when she asked what my blog addy was, I replied, "But I'm a terrible example of a good blogger these days." It's a "do as I say and not as I do" kind of situation. There's just too much going on these days and I can't seem to get it together to sit down, ass on chair, and get writing.

Maybe I've lost my words.

Or maybe I'm just far too comfortable on the couch.

Regardless, things should quiet down by July and then I'll feel more in control.

Annnywaaaay.

At long last I finished the galley I had of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest about three weeks ago. A friend had sent it over to me when she saw my exuberant post about Larsson's previous book, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and I started and stopped a few times before actually getting through to the end.

If we're being completely honest, as much as I am sucked in by Larsson's rambling narrative style, I find the excess of information, the journalistic tone of his writing, sometimes a bit frustrating. Does the book really need those chapter openers about the Amazons, the female warriors, etc. Do we really need to know every single detail of the founding of the secret government society (the so-called Hornet's Nest that Lisbeth kicks?). Probably not. But once you wade through all of that stuff, it's almost impossible to put the book down -- once the mechanics of the conspiracy are unraveled, which would be difficult to explain if he didn't go into painful detail about how it all got started, the book roars to its conclusion.

As the book picks up right where Fire left off (SPOILER), with Lisbeth in the hospital and her abhorrent father just down the hallway, it doesn't contain as much pure action as I would have liked. But, again, this novel isn't about action, it's about conspiracy, cover-ups, the responsibility of governments and the underhanded way Lisbeth has been dealt with over the course of her entire life. The machinations of the cover up and the reasons behind it remain so utterly despicable that it's easy to see Blomkvist as hero as he unravels and brings it all to light. Yet, he, like Lisbeth, is not without flaws -- and, as a reader, you appreciate this. These two characters, Lisbeth and Blomkvist, stop this novel from becoming a poor Bourne knock-off (often, in my head, I saw Treadstone in the place of the Swedish "secret" government agency). They're refreshingly different from the norm (although "downtrodden" seems to be the characteristic du jour for so many thriller-type protagonists).

What's more, I appreciate how Larsson's own writing never flushes into the Hollywood/movie-style of prose that so often plagues novels within the genre (like what Black Water Rising ultimately suffers from). He never relies on tropes or tricks when describing action and maybe that's his journalistic background, or maybe it's just his own particular gift. Regardless, the story hums because of Larsson's inherent capability to drive the action forward, despite how irrelevant some of it actually is when it comes to the end of the book.

The Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest isn't a perfect book but it absolutely won't disappoint fans (like myself) and truly feels like a fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...