Saturday, September 16, 2006

Top 10 Reasons Why I Know I Am Now Old

When I was at the kidney doctor's the other day, when he said, "How do you feel?" I replied that I felt great, except for feeling old. He was very serious for a minute and wanted to know if I felt old because I was unwell or if I was half-joking. Of course, I'm half-joking, but I do honestly feel super old these days. On the streetcar ride home I tried to think of all the reasons why I feel so old, particularly this year:

1. Because I've had the disease for over 15 years. That's almost 20 years of going through medical problems. 20 years is a long, long time.

2. I can no longer listen to pop radio. Now, I listen to the CBC in the car. Oddly, when growing up, as other parents listened to the CBC in their cars, mine always listened to pop radio. I am convinced it's because my parents were still so young when they had me. They didn't have the chance to grow out of it, to some extent.

3. I have no idea who the majority of the people are who won MTV Video Awards. No clue.

4. I bought a dress from Anne Klein to wear to a wedding.

5. I carry a purse. All. The. Time. I don't even own a non-work related knapsack.

6. My hair is grey, very, very grey.

7. I have very little patience for public transit despite being incredibly concerned about climate change.

8. Speaking of which, I found myself having a crush, for a nano-second, on Peter MacKay. And then I saw the pictures of him with Condoleeza Rice and decided that it was very, very wrong to have a crush on Peter MacKay.

9. When I meet new people they are always very shocked when they hear my age and almost always say, "You don't look [insert your age here]." My tried and true response is always, "But I sure feel it."

10. I have almost decided I will no longer wear my rock and roll t-shirts. Almost. But that begs the question, what will I wear instead? I have very few (read: none), non rock and roll t-shirts.

See, OLD.

3 comments:

Gallis said...

DUDE. Peter MacKay?

Re: #9, my response is always "Yes. I moisturize."

indigo herself said...

old-schmold. maybe you can think of younger people as experience-deprived.

Anonymous said...

I had to compare because if you're old then I'm in trouble because you've got a few years on me and, well, our list might not differ too much:

1. You totally win on this one. Sorry :(

2. Does Jazz FM count? And only so that I can listen to the BBC news and DJs who aren't idiots. Well, and the music too.

3. No clue here either. BUT, I don't know that I ever paid much attention. Does that still count?

4. Who is Anne Klein? Haha. And my wedding attire usually comes in the form of $100 or less...usually a lot less.

5. Messenger bag anyone?

6. Okay, maybe not two verys, but I've got a lot.

7. Ditto -- especially when the trains break down and make you 3 hours late :(

8. This... made me laugh out loud. Total crush here.

9. Ditto.. except I don't get to say "but I sure feel it" yet because I'm "young" haha.

10. Not even as PJs? I have donated mine over to the little bro because now they're vintage and cool.

Okay, so you win...but it was fun for me to read and to compare :)

And I'm sure you've got a few good years left in ya yet :)

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...