Saturday, April 07, 2007

[They] Are The Champions

How often is it that the lit blog community and Oprah Winfrey agree on anything? Well, there was that whole James Frey thing but let's set that aside for a moment. Is it coincidence that the Tournament of Books picked The Road just as Oprah announced her latest book club? Entirely.

But does it send out meta-tastic ironic vibes that us lit bloggers (and yes, I'm being generous and including myself in the the group) actually know what we're talking about most of the time?

Shocking, I know.

Hell, you know what I'm most looking forward to, and I hate to be catty but, again, it's late, I'm tired, are all the strange blog posts from the shiny happy people who usually read the Oprah book pick looking for something other than the utterly brillian Cormac McCarthy. And damn that I haven't read that book yet considering I was going to pick it as my US entry for Around the World in 52 Books and slipped in The Emperor's Children in it's place. I might honestly get the RRHB to blog about it in my place as he devoured that novel in an afternoon last summer up at the cottage.

(High fives to BGB for the linkage)

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Yeah, as soon as I recover from A Year of Magical Thinking (whenever that might be), I plan to read The Road, despite the fact that I know it's going to kill me. The mister read it twice IN A ROW, and I generally take his recommendations seriously. But this is me sighing in advance. Sigh.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...