Monday, December 01, 2008

The Off The Shelf Challenge - 2009

The third challenge for 2009 will be styled after Eminem, and I'm "cleaning out my closets." I'm getting these books read and off my shelves. The list could be endless, but I'm starting here:

1. Serena by Ron Rash: Serena is a "must read" by Salon and it was a huge in-house fav at work too.
2. A Mercy by Toni Morrison
3. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski: The latest Oprah pick.
4. Cockroach by Rawi Hage: Giller short-listed, IMPAC-award winning author.
5. The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai: The Booker winner for 2006.
6. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney
7. Ten Days in the Hills by Jane Smiley
8. Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier
9. Naked by David Sedaris
10. Affinity by Sarah Waters
11. Blue Angel by Francine Prose: Recommended by a friend. I adored Goldengrove.
12. The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy
13. Babylon Rolling by Amanda Boyden: Another recommendation
14. The Wig My Father Wore by Anne Enright: Found a great secondhand copy at The Strand in NYC; loved The Gathering
15. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
16. Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson
17. The Retreat by David Bergen
18. Reservation Road by John Burnham Schwartz
19. Lush Life by Richard Pride
20. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
21. Little Black Book of Stories by A.S. Byatt

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I've entered a number of challenges but not this one-yet. I am like you, overwhelmed with books waiting to be read on the shelves. So I have chosen almost all my reading challenges for the year from books I already own. It will feel good to catch up a bit- if we have the discipline to stick to it. :)

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...