Friday, February 11, 2005

Friday Night, Feeling Alright

Ah, the end to another week of temping. It's an odd beast, being a temp worker: you don't really register on the radar of people around you; you feel strange and awkward because you don't really know anyone that well; and you definitely find out what kind of work you like to do vs. what you absolutely hate doing. There's an upside to it though: the freedom. I get giggly just thinking about how I can simply say to them, "Well, I've got a good opportunity so tomorrow will be my last day."

Now that makes the work week lighter, for sure.

Everything is now finished with my old employer. I picked up my last documents today from the lawyer.

So what now? In my heart of hearts I wish I could take six months off and write the next great Canadian novel. But that's not an entirely realistic dream.

Good stuff's happening in town tonight. A friend is visiting from NYC, which is always cool. And my favourite band is playing tonight at Lee's Palace, but I think the tickets are all sold out. If you get the chance, you should go see The Constantines, they kick ass.

We were both in London this time last February. With the exception of seeing Tricky Woo at the El Mocambo, with the lead singer ending the show wearing nothing but a handkerchief tied around his neck, it was the greatest rock and roll show I've ever seen. They have so much energy, and it's nice to see the return to rock and roll, with plenty of guitars and hard, pounding beats.

I hope there's still tickets available at the door. Because being done with all that mess from my old job is definitely cause for celebration. I feel elated that it's all over with now, that I can finally move on with my life, that I can afford to buy a beer! Bless the severance payment people, bless it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a band called 'Tricky Woo'? That's wonderful. I've only ever associated 'Tricky Woo' with Mrs. Pumphries' dog from All Creatures Great and Small. I'm obviously really out of the loop.

I'm enjoying your blog. Really sorry about the hip replacement and the job crap. That sucks.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...