Thursday, February 02, 2006

#4 - Society Girls

I have a soft spot in my cold, black heart for British chicklit. As you know, I'm a fan of chicklit anyway and think that it's the perfect kind of book to read when you wake up at 4.45 AM, throw up from your meds, have the runs, and can't get back to sleep.

Ahem. Was that TMI?

Annnnywaaay. I finished Sarah Mason's Society Girls. Nowhere near the level of sophistication of Gemma Townley, Mason's book is okay (judging on the chicklit curve, of course). The plot is totally predictable, and there are characters that are mentioned but never discussed so what's the point of them even being there (two extra brothers who never come home and don't even seem to have names, so wha?). But the main character, Clemmie, was delightfully free of a job in publishing and/or marketing—hooray!

The title refers to a girl who goes missing just before her wedding, and Clemmie and her sister Holly, a journalist, end up getting in over their heads in terms of the whole situation surrounding this girl Emma. As with most chicklit, the plot is preposterous and all just a rouse to get the wayward lovers together, but this book did a lot to keep my mind off my rotten stomach at 5.30 this morning.

Now how's that for a book review!

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I love it!!

BTW - I have this book in my TBR pile for a day when I need to escape from everyday life. I might just check out Gemma Townley now...

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...