Tuesday, August 29, 2006

100 Mile Diet

I am absolutely fascinated by the 100 Mile Diet. Especially with the stat that "when the average North American sits down to eat, each ingredient has typically travelled at least 1500 miles from farm to plate."

Imagine all that gas, all those trucks, all that industry, that's just gone in to my eating a potato with my frozen (but now cooked, obviously) tuna burger. I wouldn't even know where to start. In my pale "environmentalism," I carefully check the labels so that I'm buying Canadian produce, but that doesn't mean that it still hasn't travelled hours and hours and kilometres and kilometres to get to the grocery store.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That diet sounds like it means I wouldn't be able to eat pineapple or bananas, and therefore: hell no.

Deanna McFadden said...

You could, however, eat turnips. Did that do it for you?

Gallis said...

Turnips. Heh!

Anonymous said...

Yes. Truly, the turnip is Ontario's pineapple. (Hee.)

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...