Monday, January 29, 2007

Millbank, Ontario



So, on Saturday, my RRHB and I went to Millbank, Ontario. I wanted to see where my Irish ancestors settled, and even though I didn't know much about it beyond the fact that it's where they farmed after coming to Canada and where they died, it was actually kind of cool.

There's a great furniture shop there, we saw Amish carriages carrying very cold bearded men along the two-lane highways, and despite the cold, I had a great day. We stopped in Stratford for some lunch, ate some candy, and walked around a bit looking at some of the great old buildings in the very lovely town.

And it gave me a real idea of what life was like in the winter in Millbank, and some good ideas for description for the long story I've been working on. But, of course, I discovered where the old coot was buried (my Irish forefather) AFTER we got home, which just means there's another road trip on the horizon. Not in winter. Not on the coldest day of the year. And not during a snow storm. But soon, that's for sure.

Now if I can only figure out where in Ireland a) they came from and b) when they got here (they were here for the 1851 census, I know that for sure), then I'd be cooking with oil. I know they were from the north, which would have good to know, oh, I don't know, when I was THERE two summers ago.

Sigh.

8 comments:

Gallis said...

This is so cool. I wish I knew more information like this about my family.

Heather said...

A nice excursion! I hope you have lots of great success search them out. There are lots of geneaology websites out there.

Tim Frederick said...

After reading your blog for some time now, I have to know ... what is RRHB an acronym for? A Google search leads back here...

Also: down south, our expression is "cooking with gas."

Deanna McFadden said...

Ahhh, cooking with gas makes good sense too. Also kind of ironic with the current state of oil in the world.

RRHB = Rock and Roll Husband.

At the start of the blog my fellow was RRBF, Rock and Roll Boyfriend, as gleaned from his career as a Canadian indie rocker and my said paramour.

Now that we're wed, he's my Rock and Roll Husband or RRHB.

Tim Frederick said...

Gotcha. Whew. That's one mystery solved. say, Canadian indie rock...hmmm, his band is not one whose name is similar to the title of this blog is it?

Anonymous said...

I am a homesick native of Millbank Ontario living in BC. I see you where standing on the bridge and pointing your camera west when you took the photo. I am going "home" next summer. You can visit me in the large white home with the gingerbread across from the hardware store. I will probably be there all summer. My Dad probably knew your ancestors. He is very very old and we come from Irish stock also.
suzy

Anonymous said...

I can see the edge of my house in your picture.

rem42 said...

Millbank is having a 160th anniversary celebration Aug 1-3, 2008! We live in Millbank and I was researching our house for the open house tour and found your blog. You might be able to get information during this weekend. There is an open house tour of historical buildings and lots of displays and people around who have research the history of Millbank and it's people. Go to the following website for more info http://celebratemillbank2008.com

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...