Monday, January 15, 2007

TRH TV - 24 & Rome

Okay, so my New Year's Revolution not to watch so much television is actually working (I'm only on week 2, but still). The only two shows I watched this whole weekend (Saturday and Sunday) were 24 and Rome. And if you haven't watched either show yet and they are sitting patiently on your Faux-Vos, please ignore as some of the following might be construed as spoiler-esque.

On the whole, I loved 24 but felt that it was a bit forced in terms of the set up and some of the situations. Sometimes the exposition is so painful (i.e., Karen talks to Bill, LOOKS at her wedding rings, and says, "I wish you were here.") because they don't give enough credit to the audience that we'd get what was going on without the characters overtly telling us. But anyway, here's what I learned/thought last night:

1. Jack is always right. He's been right for five seasons, why is it that when it comes down to making THE decision, the President rarely listens?

2. Chinese prison must be very sunny. Why else would Jack have a tan? And when he cut his hair his neck was still tanned too.

3. He also must have been fed very well; there's not a muscle out of place, even when he takes his shirt off and reveals the SIGNS OF TORTURE, you're still like, whoa, Jack's been working out!

4. Alexander Siddig must get super-tired of getting blown up, and his character seems straight out of Syriana, but whatever, there's this one scene where he's just so absolutely frightening that it gave me chills.

5. Kal Penn playing against type (slightly) is funny. I know it's wrong of me because he's a Serious Actor now, especially with the film version of Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake coming out. But seriously dude, I'll bet he was Jonesing for a White Castle when the FBI came around and tore up his sh*t and took his dad away. And what's up with him playing a kid in, and am I correct about this, high school? First off, he may be trim but he still looks like a man and he's 30, or there abouts. A bit of the Andrea Zuckerman going on there.

6. Chloe. Rocks. Even if she is going out with the FoodTV guy that used to date this woman who terrorized me in grade school but then made up for it when I lost my mom and used to call me all the time and be really sweet and sh*t.

7. What's up with Peter MacNicol's eye makeup? Seriously? It's like George on Grey's Anatomy where they can't get the balance right between "shading" and "overtly colouring the lids so that he could step on stage in the drag show at Il Convento Rico."

8. And if he's (Peter MacNicol, see above) a baddie, well, that sucks because we've been there done that last season and I didn't much appreciate the tense, "I'm thinking very hard about this situation and have my hand on my chin in Deep Thought" moments. Yawn.

9. Please, please do not let the fact that neither Kim nor Audrey know that Jack's out of Chinese prison mean that we're in for tearful reunions. Please. I beg you.

10. I got a little choked up when Jack said, "I don't remember how to do this." In the promos for tonight's episodes. Aw, Sensitive Jack is very appealing, even if you know within a matter of, well, hours, he'll have strapped on his Sidebag of Super Tricks and stepped off a plane knowing that he can absolutely make a parachute by the time he almost hits the ground.

Sigh. I am SO glad 24 is back. Oh, and Rome wasn't bad either, but that's Serious TV; it's HBO, so even though you know you won't understand ALL of it, it'll still be miles better than anything else that might be on. And Marc Antony takes his shirt off, A LOT.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Funny post - you do "cynicism" very well.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...