Thursday, May 25, 2006

Your Body, Yourself

As a woman who has gone through her share of health problems, the idea of manipulating my body for the sake of convenience out frightens me. Why on earth would anyone want to do this to themselves?

God knows a visit from your 'lady friend' or whatever euphemism you'd like to use, isn't always a welcome part of the month, but it's integral to a healthy, happy system. I mean, I know there's a reason why it's called "the curse" but that shouldn't equal treating it and then eliminating it from our lives by drugs.

Yes, the pill changed the lives of women forever. Yes, there are great medical benefits to it and great leaps forward in terms of women controlling their bodies instead of the other way around, but goodness, when is too far gone too far?

What makes women women in the first place? Biology? Psychology? I can't answer that, all I know is that I'm repulsed by the idea of one pill ensuring that a women never has her "visitor"—goodness, it would be a shame if nature interrupts her busy life to remind her every now and again that she is, indeed, a woman.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...