Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thursday Is Link Day

Well, I'm dead sick with a bad cold that travelled from my brother to my husband then to me. I've read a couple books (#36, Town House by Tish Cohen [lovely, delightful and funny] and #37, Flyte by Angie Sage for What Would Harry Read) and am in the middle of a really fun kids book called Skulduggery Pleasant by an Irish author, Derek Landy. It's another titled for WWHR, and once I'm done that I'm hoping to get back to some of my reading challenges, fingers crossed.

Annnywwaaay, some interesting things around the web:

1. A Harry Potter theme park: is it really necessary?

2. BOOKED! It's pretty exciting that Book Expo Canada, our annual trade show and conference, has opened up to the public in the form of this 3 day festival. I'm not sure if I'll be attending too many events because I'll be working the show but if you love books there are some great authors coming to town. Speaking of which, Toronto Life has a great contest to win tickets to see Gore Vidal.

3. Gabriel Garcia Marquez celebrated. I've started Love in the Time of Cholera and am enjoying it immensely. It's so nice to hear of thousands turning out to see an author and, well, unheard of really.

4. Barnes and Noble recommends Paulette Jiles's Stormy Weather. Like Oprah's Book Club and Heather's Picks: does anyone read books that are recommended by the big book stores? I'm curious to know.

5. I heart BoldType, it's just so classy. Check out their newsletter, gor-geous. And they've suggested The Raw Shark Texts as a Beach Read, which is so fitting in an oddly ironic, conceptual fish kind of way.

That's enough for now, I think. Stupid cold. It's making my brain fuzzy.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Despite your rotten cold, you're keeping quite busy. Thank heavens for books and the Internet!

Kimberly said...

On the off chance that I pick up a book recommended by Oprah or Heather, the first thing I do is peel off the sticker. I can't help myself. So, in answer to your curiosity, this cat definitely doesn't read the books based on their recommendations and actually has reservations about picking up a book that's been stamped with their approval. Does that make me a snob?

Deanna McFadden said...

I don't think it makes you a snob -- I think it makes you conscious of those sorts of things, makes you aware of branding etc., and makes you a good reader.

moplans said...

I have been meaning to read Love in the time of Cholera for soooooo long.
Let us know what you think of it.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...