Saturday, May 05, 2007

TRH Movie - Spider-Man 3

Well. I'm not even sure where to begin with this giant mess of a movie. That's not to say that Spider-Man 3 isn't enjoyable, because it is, nor is to to say that I didn't like it, because I did. But overall, I felt like they just tried to do too much and it ended up sprawling all over the place, leaving the film feeling a bit watered-down and mashed together.

The RRHB and I were talking about it after we got home, and he made a very valid criticism. I'd hate it if a movie took my favourite book and changed all the story lines around just to make a 'blockbuster.' From his perspective, they've ruined a lot of what made the comic so great by trying to make the film so huge. They've brought together years and years worth of plots and tried to put them all in the film like a bunch of puzzle pieces that are either slightly too large or too small to actually fit with the overall scope of the life of the character.

All in all, it's a summer of closing chapters, with third installments of so many blockbuster series bowing, from The Bourne Ultimatum to the non-stop Pirates films, I'm sure it's not the first time I'm going to write a sentence that goes something like, 'well, I enjoyed the movie...but.'

And there's a small part of me that thinks the main characters are tired of making these movies, and that exhaustion certainly shows through, despite their obvious dedication to the project. Who knows. I'm not an actor. I have no idea what it's like to be responsible for a franchise the size of Spider-Man, with this movie alone rumoured to have cost close to half a billion dollars.

The stunts are pretty wicked, and there's a level of super villain that we haven't really seen before, but I can't help but wish they did more with the black-suited Spider-Man and his alter-ego, the emo-Peter Parker, but I know I'm looking for too much in a film that it truly just meant to entertain. I will say, however, that Topher Grace kicked ass; he was the most enjoyable part of the movie, even if he was totally underdeveloped and kind of tossed in at the last minute.

1 comment:

~ames~ said...

Hmm...I probably won't go see this. My little brothers did, and I made them tell me what happens. Big surprise. :P

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...