Friday, November 30, 2007

Canada Reads

Goodness, is it just me, or is the Canada Reads list this year somewhat uninspired? I love both Timothy Findley (and I count Not Wanted on the Voyage among my all-time favourite books) and Mavis Gallant, but I'd have to say that the majority of Canada may have already read both of those authors? For my money, I'd love to see Icefields win, as it's the only title on the list that I read and thought, 'now that's an interesting choice.' And, it's not often that I link over to the Q&Q, but they've kind of hit the nail on the head with the opening sentence, "There's a distinct last-century feel to the next Canada Reads lineup, which CBC Radio unveils today."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's "Consumption" - one of my favorite Canadian books of the year (was it last year?)

Deanna McFadden said...

Exactly.

Technically it was a Fall 2006 title, but at least it's a book that is downright excellent and not already on the Can Con canon.

Melwyk said...

I think that "icefields" is a marvellous book; it would be my choice, certainly.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Jian was in Moxy Fruvous. Those were good days.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...