My brain actually physically hurts from work today. I'm uploading the majority of the content for the new corporate website and it's a little overwhelming. So, for today, a list:
1. I ran into a casual friend on the subway this morning who told me that she'd given up writing for now. My face might have betrayed me ever-so-slightly because I think I was kind of shocked. I've never honestly thought of giving up writing completely and I don't honestly know if I could. So far, my writing hasn't made me millions but I'm not convinced I'm toiling away in obscurity either. I've finished the first draft of one (as yet) unpublished novel, eight or so abridged classics, published some poems, make a fairly decent freelance living so all is not dire. Yet. But writing is such a part of my daily life that I don't know if I could ever just say, "that's it, I'm done." What say you other writers out there?
2. Yawn. Am so tired of the post-blog natterers out there. See above: is a measurable sense of success really the value people put on this product now? Does everything anyone does need to end up with either acclaim or riches for it to be a worthwhile investment of someone's time?
3. Fringe. When our Faux-Vo exploded last week while we were on vacation, this was the one show that I was truly upset that it didn't tape. And I can't quite figure out why. I mean the beginnings are super strong; they're sharp, intriguing and scary as fark. But the moment that the bad dialogue and the hair flipping starts I simply turn out. When Pacey said some of the doozys he was assigned this week I honestly rolled my eyes. Yet, I can't turn away.
4. Our cat has lost his voice. Ideas?
5. A new twist on the jump around my writing room dancing: jumping around the hardwood downstairs and racing from corner to corner like I'm back in dance class. Awesome.
6. If you live in Winnipeg, go see my RRHB play tonight.
7. Tonight I have dubbed "Lipstick and Nachos." Oh yes. Oh yes I have.
8. Has Angelina Jolie reached that Tom Hanksian stage where she's too famous to disappear into her roles? I'm somewhat intrigued by Changling, only because I generally enjoy Clint Eastwood films (and count Unforgiven as one of my all-time fav pictures) but I'm not sure I'll be able to forget who she is and enjoy her performance anymore.
9. We watched a crapload of television last weekend. A) Because we had been travelling for what felt like days. B) Because the Faux-Vo was totally clogged up and needed some relief somewhat akin to my gently weeping, cold-infused head. C) Because we were somewhat hungover by our second wedding in two weeks (both were totally fun events BTW) and D) Because sometimes it's fun to eat chips, watch bad TV and complain about it. Some observations: Dexter pretty much sucks this year; Mad Men has finally come to show some signs of life, I loved this week's episode; True Blood still isn't doing anything for me (hot vampire sex aside); and I kind of like where Entourage is headed, maybe something will finally change?
9.5. Okay, I know it's totally double-u-to-the-rong to ill-eagle-ly dump down pirated episodes of Friday Night Lights but I just. Can't. Help. It. Last week's episode made my teeth hurt it was so good. Coach. Oh, Coach. That's all I'm going to say.
10. With only one outstanding freelance assignment, it seems I no longer have any excuse not to work on my novel. Wish me luck.