Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tragic Right Updates

Okay so it's been a pretty busy few days, with lots going on, and I love lists, so here we go:

1. 24 kicked all kinds of crazy ass last night, but my favourite part? When Jack retired for eleven minutes. Awe-some. His retirement was even shorter than Jay Z's. And let's talk about 99 Problems: nuclear bombs, presidential bomb shelters with cell phone signals (heh), crazy sibling rivalry, and Rena Sofer as the 'wife' character, like someone that hot would end up with angry short man McCrane, but whatever. Enjoyable!

2. Editing and re-editing is super-hard work but I've handed in my third draft, just minutes ago, of one of my Classic Starts. I've been doing them forever in my spare time and I'm super-exhausted and really want to start working on my other projects.

3. I've been attempting to find a version of microwave popcorn that isn't completely and utterly disgusting. See, I hate butter, love cooking with it, hate the taste and smell otherwise, but every single version of the damn popcorn has way, way too much fake butter on it. And I can't seem to find a damn box of 'original' anywhere. It's very annoying. We tried "corn on the cob" (oh my god it's nasty) and cheddar (equally nasty) and are now about to give up entirely. But hell, maybe that's a good thing as I supposed to be dieting anyway.

4. Tina Fey's 30 Rock is damn, damn funny. So funny that I actually rewound this bit from last week's episode about Tracy Morgan (aka Tracy Jordan) "writing" his "memoirs" because it cracked me up so much.

5. I am going to see Colm Toibin on February 7th. I just finished reading his new book of short stories Mothers and Sons, full review to come tomorrow, and it's bloody brilliant. I've also started The Master, which is on the 1001 Books list and my Around the World challenge.

6. I saw Dreamgirls on the weekend and really enjoyed it. Beyoncé was kind of flat but utterly gorgeous, but I totally agree with all of the reviews of Jennifer Hudson, man she completely steals the show. Wow. And I hope that Eddie Murphy wins the Oscar, but who knows...I'm not making any predictions just yet but I have a feeling that all my Oscar ballots will be from the heart, which is always the death of me in our company-party pools.

7. I read Don Hannah's Ragged Islands. Although not on either of my lists, I'm still saying its #7 for the year, and I have to say that I did enjoy it. Quickly, it's the story of Susan Ann, an elderly woman brought to the hospital on her last days, that floats in and out of consciousness. When she's in her 'dream' state, she's all over her life, from start to finish, and it's fantastical, mystical and whimsical all at the same time. There is a central mystery to her story that never gets solved but I think that's okay because the book is more about the fact that life simply doesn't give you the answers. Hannah, a playwright, borrows heavily from Laurence and Shields, but that's okay, there's room in CanLit for more than two ornery old broads.

Whew! What a week already...

5 comments:

Beth said...

Of all the things I could comment on, it's the popcorn. Where is that "original" flavour?
Really, I'm not supposed to have butter at all, hate the Smart Pop flavour and love using the microwave. But I think I'm going to have to look for some "easy" machine to pop my own kernels. When I read at night, I eat popcorn - it has to be good!

Deanna McFadden said...

I guess I keep trying to find the "natural" flavour without the fake butter tones; and all the organic ones aren't as good as Orville Redenbackers but no where do they sell the "natural" flavour. I can't find it at all anymore. It makes me very sad.

Heather said...

you may have to breakdown and get an airpopper. it would be the only way to guarantee a butter free experience and in the end works out cheaper anyway. Dreamgirls eh? I saw Eragon recently and I say that as long as your put Hobbits from your mind the film isn't half bad.

Beth said...

Your last sentence in your response cracks me up.

"It makes me very sad."

Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Anonymous said...

Well, last night I bought the 50% less fat, sort of buttery kind, and it's almost edible. I just love microwave popcorn so much.

Then I said to my RRHB, as suggested above, that I need to break down and buy an air popper.

He said, "You've been saying that for years. It'll never happen."

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...