Saturday, April 07, 2007

Poem For Today

It's Poetry Month and Knopf US sends out poem-a-day emails. Today's selection is by Anna Akhmatova, "The door is half open..."

The poem is almost 100 years old at this point, and still, the metaphor of the door being half open, despite perhaps becoming cliched if we were to write it today, still resonates simply because of the gorgeous three lines that follow it. It's the perfect example of how writing can always contextualize itself in even small places.

I'm fascinated by Ahkmatova, and I've had a giant biography sitting on my TBR pile for almost two years now. I'd like to say that I'll get to it soon but with 1001 Books and other challenges, I think that it might be years still before it works up in the ranks.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...