Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Take One Sick Day...

I was off yesterday with a strange virus that has left me nauseous, achy and kind of dizzy. Gotta love the immuno-suppressant meds for allowing your body to pick up every strange bit of something that floats by in the ether. Funny how life just seems to go on without you:

Cormac McCarthy continues to cement his place as the all star in terms of the literary world this year by now winning a Pulitzer Prize, which means I need to bump that book way up on my TBR pile if Oprah, the establishment, and the lit blogging community are all in agreement. Isn't that a prophetic 'stars aligning' kind of situation?

Yann Martel is seriously interested in learning what Stephen Harper is reading. An interesting project considering every single time Bush cracks a book it makes major media waves. (props to Jane at RHC for bringing this one to my attention; Pickle Me This also reported on the new blog)

The world receives a major publishing event in the form of a new Tolkien novel. Here's another smile and nod-type author for me. I've never read a single Tolkien novel in my life even though I loved the movies. Honestly, I tried to read the first book in the trilogy but couldn't get past all the hobbits singing.

CBC.ca/arts reports on all the crazy marketing behind The Raw Shark Texts. I have read this book and will be blogging about it in the upcoming days.

Fingers crossed we're all back on our feet today.

2 comments:

Tim Frederick said...

I hadn't missed more than a handful of days of work in more than a decade, but I was out last week for four days over the last two weeks. I got so much reading done, I couldn't believe it.

~ames~ said...

Hope you're feeling better. And I had to laugh at your mention of hobbits singing, because I just got the funniest visual. :P

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...