Monday, February 21, 2005

Pet Peeves I

I'm sure this will be an ongoing rant, well number of rants, I suppose. The other day my Rock and Roll Boyfriend and I were out having brunch. Something we do fairly often, but not as much as of late since we bought the Fixer-Upper otherwise known as our house. Anyway, to make a long story short, since a few months before surgery, I've been walking with a cane. My hip isn't very strong just yet, and my leg muscles are underdeveloped from not being able to be very active.

So, I'm walking along the sidewalk, with my cane. Along comes a group of people, regular everyday people who almost bash directly into me because they are so important they can't move out of the way for the disabled girl. This happens all the time. I don't know why people think that it's easier for me to move, me with the cane, me with the scaredy-cat walk because I'm afraid of slipping on the ice and dislocating my brand-new titanium hip.

It's not easier for me to move. It's easier for you, healthy twenty-something male with two good hips to get out of my way. It's a major pet peeve, alongside those people who are so tired from sitting down all day in front of the computer doing their jobs that they can't get up and give the old lady or disabled girl (me) a seat on the streetcar. Those same people who, again, think it's easier for me or my new-found best friend Myrtle, to get out of their way. Where have all the manners gone, I mean really?

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...