Monday, May 23, 2005

Descending Into Sickness

We spent the Rock and Roll Boyfriend's birthday looking for antiques. We went back to Aberfoyle so he could buy his 1969 Planet of the Apes poster from Poland. I bought a pair of 1970s lamps for our future living room. It's only a year or two away.

Then we went for dinner with my brother and our good friend Kate. I lasted through dinner and then had to go home because my energy had collapsed by that point. He had a wonderful birthday though, and that's all that matters considering this time last year we had one of the worst fights in our entire relationship.

Today is a holiday Monday. Which meant that because I did all the chores on Saturday, I fell into a sickness stupor. Hence, I watched a lot of daytime television, including Oprah. With Tom Cruise. And Katie Holmes. Ew. He kept kneeling on the floor and punching the wood. Ew. I'll still see War of the Worlds, though. But you know, not to be negative about those in love, but these people are actors extremely good at acting. Yawn.

I finished Sue Miller's Lost in the Forest. I think that's book #26. The book got a rave review in the New York Times, and many people I know have been raving about it. The book is passable, and Miller's prose reminds me a little of Joyce Carol Oates, that sort of American, easy style that reveals the ins and outs of family life exceptionally well. She has also mastered the flashback, and excels at intertwining many different stories from the past and present together.

On the whole, the book would make a good cottage read, something halfway engaging but perhaps isn't destined to become a modern literary classic.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...