Monday, September 04, 2006

An Old Fashioned Weekend

With the fact that my RRHB will soon be so self-employed that he'll be working just on our house, we've come to the conclusion that we'll have to make the majority of our Christmas presents this year.

Making Christmas presents has been on the backburner for a while now. For years I've wanted to get out my sewing machine, actually learn how to use it, and make pretty things; I'd love to knit fast enough that I can get presents done quicker, and in some sense just contribute in a very old fashioned way to the gift giving season this winter.

Well, we started up north this weekend. We made grape jelly, spaghetti sauce and home-made ketchup, all of which are actually super-tasty. It's hard work but feels good like I am using the products in my backyard to give life to the people I love. I know it's corny. But I felt kind of proud of ourselves none the less.

So, this year everyone is getting home-made gifts from our Brockton Berries canning company. Heh.

3 comments:

crabbykate said...

I totally love this idea. It feels more fulfilling somehow. We too are going to try it this year.

Gallis said...

Can you make my ketchup spicy? Heh!

Heather said...

Sounds like the list to get on this year is certainly yours!!!

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...