Thursday, June 07, 2007

TRH Updates - Hell Yeah!

I'm probably the only person on my floor that actually shouted "hell yeah!" when I read this morning that Don McKay won the Griffin Poetry Prize. And if you haven't read Strike/Slip I would highly encourage you to do so, it's just wonderful.

Other updates include two more books read, #s 39 & 40, Janice Kulyk Keefer's The Ladies Lending Library, which is a lovely little book about a group of Ukrainian immigrant women who spend their summers up in a group of cottages on Kalyna Beach, a fictional location set just outside Midland, Ontario. Perfect for summer reading. And another book for What Would Harry Read, Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. I am looking forward to this weekend, though, as my work reading slows down a bit so I can finally finish Alissa York's Effigy and Love in the Time of Cholera, both of which I am enjoying immensely.

And my RRHB has gone to NYC to play a show on Friday night. I am insanely jealous. Not only will he get to hang out, but he'll get to see some of fun NYC friends, while I'm home biking and eating by myself.

Last but not least, I watched Breach last night and is it ever a good little film. Based on the life of Robert Hanssen, an FBI agent who sold secrets to the Russians for many, many years, the film stars an outstanding Chris Cooper in the lead role, with Ryan Phillippe playing the part of Eric O'Neill, a young upstart put in place to help take him down. The entire movie is rock solid right up until the end when there's a bit of a Departed-style rat moment that makes you roll your eyes, but on the whole a sort of overlooked gem of a film.

EDITED TO ADD: And I just found out that Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie won the Orange Prize, which absolutely pushes that book up on my TBR pile. It's the Nigeria entry in my Around the World in 52 Books challenge.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Skulduggery Pleasant is one of my favourite YA novels in the past year ( that is saying a lot because I read a gazillion of them !)

it was just perfect !

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...