Friday, July 11, 2008

TRH Updates - Summer Hiatuses

Seems I can find less and less time to post here these days with the craziness of summer, and then we go up to the cottage for the weekend, which means even less time to post. However, I think I'm going to go back to my page-a-day challenge (I have a couple of projects in mind), and that should get me going here too. Here's a list, anyway, because I have a headache and feel life can only be in short form when one has a headache:

1. I've been reading Jane Urquhart's Away and absolutely loving it.

2. TomGreen.com kept me awake and alert this week at work. I wish they had TomGreen.com radio, too, and not just TV.

3. We are obsessed with So You Think You Can Dance. My RRHB more so than me. But yesterday when they had the Alvin Ailey troupe perform, I was gobsmacked. A major American dance troupe not relegated to PBS, Bravo or TVOntario. It's amazing and I hope it continues to spotlight dance in this way for the masses. Although I'm not 100% sold on the whole "contemporary" as a format -- I think I'd love to see them all have to perform a piece of classical modern choreography, something from Merce Cunningham or Martha Graham, something that can show the masses where contemporary comes from.

4. A very good friend of our family passed away this week, and the funeral was yesterday. Up until my mother had her accident, the two of them were thick as thieves. The same, but different, neighbours but also kindred spirits. Us kids grew up together. And even though much time has passed since I'd seen anyone in the family, it doesn't mean that I am not profoundly feeling the loss. A friend said that it's maybe a little bit of me losing yet another connection to my mother. And it is that, for sure, but it's also the loss of someone who had a powerful influence upon me when I was a child. It's also knowing what her daughter is going through right now, as I said in an email, all that empty space and unfinished sentences, where your mother used to be -- it's not something you get over.

5. Headaches suck more than any other kind of everyday ache.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Away was a Chicklit fiction club book a while back and I loved it, mostly. It's definitely worth reading, but I'd love to hear what you think of it when you're finished.

Unknown said...

The kid and I are watching So You Think You Can Dance too, and even the hubby is getting into it!

Anonymous said...

I'm downloading it and watching it in Ireland. I am OBSESSED with Joshua. He's so beautiful. I really want him to win.
I love the contemporary routines. When the season 2 dance tour came to the hummingbird centre I went and cried openly during Travis and Heidi's bench routine. It was amazing. Gawd , I loved Travis. And Alison.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...