Thursday, February 15, 2007

Downtown

The roads, as you well imagine, are a mess. This morning I got the car stuck in a snowbank coming out of the laneway behind my house. And when I tried to turn on the car, it wouldn't work.

I didn't cry. I didn't panic. Instead, I calmly got out, walked the few houses over to our front door, and shouted, "RRHB, I need your help." We dug the car out and I was on my way.

My new office? Yeah, it's downtown which means I'll calmly sit on the streetcar as it rumbles along plowing all of the snow in its way in two days time. I really, really hate driving.

The other scary winter driving story? A couple weekends ago when I went to the spa with my stepmother? I got the car stuck on a snowy hill when it started rolling...in the wrong direction. Soon, I was barrelling backwards down the hill and couldn't slow down. For the very first time in my life, you know what I did? I used the emergency brake. After all, it was an emergency.

Come to think of it, I didn't panic then either. But I was a bit nervous on the roads today, with the Curse of St. Valentine's looming over my head and all.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yikes!!! (re: rolling backwards down hill!)

Your new job downtown, near college and university? maybe we can have lunch and babble about books. (I really need to get my butt in gear and organize that Toronto Book Bloggers meeting!)

Deanna McFadden said...

I'll be at Yonge and Bloor so just a short subway ride - lunch is a must!

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...