Tuesday, April 22, 2008

January (My Violent Heart)

The temperature dropped the day I left;
hours later I smelled cinnamon and saffron,
my nose, assaulted by warm air

(but not in a way I felt violated)

The sheets tried to hard to achieve a
balance between home and away,
and gave me large, angry hives.

("A vacation," he said, "would restore your health)

I took the news hard, my heart
stamped and packed down hard,
sand on a beach, snow underfoot

(the waves violated an all-inclusive order)

There's nothing worse than a tourist
who doesn't want to tour the ruins
of a most important relationship.

(I still avoid salt water)

I saw you, you who had been mine,
with your hand wrapped in hers,
with bow-like accuracy

(Violence against self excluded from the air fare)

Raced half-way around the world
to realise that the weather
did not improve the mood.

(Sunshine to sun visor to sunscreen)

Damn you and those intertwining
fingers that will never do
what I will forever want them to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may not be your thing, but I find listening to ambient music works for me when I am trying to write for work. At its best, it is unobtrusive and seems to help foster creativity. Your mileage may vary. I recommend Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music For Airports.

Anonymous said...

Oops. That Eno comment was supposed to be up there with the post about looking for music to listen to. Rats.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...