Monday, October 10, 2005

In Her Shoes

I went to see In Her Shoes this afternoon with two dear friends. Funnily enough, the two friends have so much in common (they both love pop culture) that I knew they'd get along even though they'd never met. It was kismet, and I like that.

Annnywaaay. The movie is based on Jennifer Weiner's novel of the same name. Weiner, reigning queen of intelligent, sassy chicklit, has a cameo in the picture, and it's kind of cute. It's a faithful interpretation of the book, with some tiny plot points adjusted for the sake of the medium, but it didn't matter, because I was going to love this movie even if it was mediocre. And I did love it, maybe for all the wrong reasons, for the fact that I miss my own mother (Rose and Maggie's mother is dead) and grandmother (my own maternal grandmother died fifteen years ago and I still miss her every day) so much that even a hint of that in a film brings me to tears. Throw in a smart girl whose life just seems out of control with sibling issues, and well, you might as well hand me the cold pack for my eyes because I'm not going to be able to see when I exit the theatre.

I'm glad I saw it on an afternoon as a band widow. It's the perfect film for the day that my RRBF has left. And I'm spending the first night alone in the house we bought almost a year ago.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...