Monday, December 18, 2006

Blogging Killed The Movie Critic

Am I responsible for this? I don't think that blogs, fanzines, fan sites, etc., have killed movie criticism but maybe brought it out of its ivory tower, if such a thing even existed for pop culture.

Personally, I write movie reviews here because I love films so much that I want to remember what I liked and what I didn't like. It's also a way for me to hone my "talent" (and I use that word lightly) for when I do have reviews to write for "outside" publications, which, to be perfectly honest, I wish I had more to write on a regular basis.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I think people who review movies for a living eventually become jaded. I haven't trusted them for years. I'd rather listen to the opinion of someone whose taste I trust.
If blogging has killed traditonal movie criticism, then its time had come.

Anonymous said...

Meh.

Recently the same argument was given by book critics about book blogs. I still say that it's because the "professionals" are worried that they are going to be pushed out.

If people didn't find something lacking in the "professional" voice they wouldn't have turned to and created other voices.

Gallis said...

I would say something but Beth and Sassymonkey have read my mind!

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...