Sunday, December 17, 2006

'Tis The Season

For a while, back in high school, in the first few years after I lost my mom, I still clung to the wonder and joy of the holidays. We're not a religous family so it was the traditions that sort of made Christmas memorable. Each year we'd make an ornament for the tree, we'd get to open one present on Christmas Eve, we'd have pancakes, open our presents, have a big family meal, see everyone. I miss that.

Annnnywaaay.

We've been listening to Christmas songs this evening. My favourite? The Bing Crosby / David Bowie "Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy." Then, "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues. Then, The Pretenders, "2000 Miles."

Now you...

2 comments:

Beth said...

I think my all time favorite is "Away in The Manger." Next is The Little Drummer Boy.
You're now making your own traditions - being together and listening to Christmas music. And you can still open one gift Christmas Eve - we still do!
My dad died when I was eleven - and keeping up all the old traditions helped us get through all those holiday times.
Enjoy your vacation/honeymoon - perhaps the beginning of another tradition? Travel at Christmastime?

Gallis said...

"River" by Joni Mitchell

Definitely with you on "Fairytale of New York"

And I love "Good King Wenceslas". It reminds me of my Dad.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...