Thursday, March 24, 2005

In the News

I know everyone's probably heard of the Schiavo case by now, and you probably don't need another blog about it, but I'm truly disgusted by the absolute disrespect for the humanity of life that people on the right have in the United States. They mistake the sacred nature of life with the physical body; they figure that while poor Terri Schiavo can move her eyes or make some other involuntary movement that there's hope. Please, there is no hope. That woman has suffered in that condition being stuck to tubes and having absolutely no quality of life. Her husband has to see the woman he loved, loved enough to marry, loved enough to fight for her right to die with dignity and move on to whatever comes next, lay in a hospital bed rotting away because her parents aren't brave enough to admit that God probably won't punish them for giving her relief.

My mother lives in a similar state, and I can tell you first-hand that it's not a life. She barely recognizes us when we visit, can't feed herself, can't walk and can't do much except lie in bed watching a television that she probably doesn't understand for hours on end. This is no way to live. And yet, there she is, alive in body, gone in spirit and with brain damage so severe that the few words, sentences, memories she has all come out jumbled in one big mess.

I watched what happened to my father after my mother's accident. How he dealt with it by drinking, by visiting her every day, by trying to be a father (I use that term lightly, and while my dad is a wonderful man; he's a not-so-hot father). It ruined his life, and it pains him every day to see her like that knowing that if we had euthanasia in this country at least she would get what she would have wanted.

The value in life does not come from the very basic fact that one can draw a breath. Life is rich beyond words; and you need a mind, body, and spirit at least working together as a person, however philosophically you determine that to be, in order for a life to be worth living. I'm frightened of a world that has tied up Terri Schiavo so deeply in the twisted fight of the extreme Right in the US, a cause for extremists to act, well, extremely. Please, let her go, give her family peace, it's something I've been craving for almost twenty years now.

2 comments:

scarbie doll said...

I am so glad you wrote about this. I have been thinking of you a lot as this case unfolds in the media. I have spoken to family members about what your family has gone through, insisting that we need to have our wishes written down.

You are very strong to go day in and out knowing your mother is in that hospital and not being able to have a relationship with her. Families in this type of situation need closure. If Terry's parents get their way, it will be a very sad day for us all.

scarbie doll said...

I am so glad you wrote about this. I have been thinking of you a lot as this case unfolds in the media. I have spoken to family members about what your family has gone through, insisting that we need to have our wishes written down.

You are very strong to go day in and out knowing your mother is in that hospital and not being able to have a relationship with her. Families in this type of situation need closure. If Terry's parents get their way, it will be a very sad day for us all.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...