Thursday, February 23, 2006

When Good Blood Tests Go Bad

The most frightening thing in the world, next to the phone ringing in the middle of the night (because according to the Cowboy Junkies, "...good news always sleeps 'til noon"), is a super-fancy disease doctor leaving a message on your voice mail that says, "I'd like to talk to you about the results from your blood tests."

You see, doctors only call if it's bad news. It's one of the few things in the world you can truly count on: if your tests suck and there's something wrong, the super-fancy disease doctor will call you. If you're fine and nothing's wrong, they put the results in the file and you see them in four months.

The most harrowing aspect of the disease is the up and down from the visit-to-visit bloodwork. Right now, my creatinine levels are still elevated, which is to be expected for the most part with the disease being active right now. What he didn't expect to see is low white blood cell counts and anemia. Hell, it's a wonder I've got any blood in my body at all.

So now I've got to go back to the super-disease doctor and see what's up next Tuesday. And I thought I was on the right track...

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...