Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Life As I Know It Is Over

So I went to see the renal dietitian today, and she was perfectly pleasant, as many people I deal with are at the hospital. However, she has told me to stop eating nuts.

ENTIRELY.

On top of that, other things on the 'must-go' list include: juice (no more than a 1/2 cup a day), tuna sandwiches more than once every couple weeks, cheese (ack!), butter (which I only use to cook with) and muffins.

As I'm 'high risk' with this whole cholesterol thing because of the Wegener's, I really need to crack down and deal with the situation but I do love almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, all yummy, all out.

Like I said, life as I know it is over.

Sigh.

7 comments:

Munro Cullen said...

that's like the saddest thing i've heard today. Everything is better with butter - except for sandwiches. (ugh) Please don't turn to margarine.

sam lamb said...

i think the cheese part gives me the sniffles. i promise not to drag you to the deli anymore. cross my heart.

Beth said...

Very crummy news. And I feel badly because I encouraged you to eat almonds to lower your cholesterol.

At least chocolate hasn't been eliminated - or do you even like chocolate?

indigo herself said...

ah nuts! i know eliminating things from your diet just makes you want them more -- you can do it though, i know you have it in you. i know the feeling, my diet is pretty lacklustre these days too. bring on the brown rice.

Gallis said...

I feel a mocha frappa wuppa sugah coming on.

Francesca Thomas said...

Sorry to hear you have been banned from eating your favourite foods.

If you cant eat butter, and dont use oil, you can try the following for cooking & sandwiches.

My family uses a brand of margarine called Lactantia. Non-hydrogenated margarine with omega 3, and approved by the Heart Foundation. Tastes just like butter too.

The lid is yellow & purple with a red heart and Omega-3 in big red letters on it.

Good price and found in any supermarket.

H

Deanna McFadden said...

Well, sugar in all its forms is kind of out too, but not as violently tossed aside like my almonds and cashews. And the RRHB promised to find a recipe for muffins without butter/oil, like using apple sauce, which I'm sure I'll like.

However, when a girl gives up sugar once a year, like I do, and turns to nuts for sustenance (sp) during the long workday.

So it's not all dire.

And sam: I can still go to the deli, I just have to have eggs! Eggs, she says, are fine. And if they are cooked in a bit of butter, with potatoes once in a while, it's okay.

The disease can't take EVERYTHING away from me.

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...