Saturday, March 25, 2006

#17 - Something Blue

The companion novel to Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed, Something Blue picks up with Darcy's story; remember, she's Rachel's best friend, the main character from the other book.

When we last left them, Darcy and Dex had broken up, he and Rachel were together, and she was with Marcus, one of her ex-fiance's groomsmen. Only there's a twist, not only was Darcy also cheating on Dex (as he was with Rachel), but her affair has one kicker of a result: she's pregnant. And when her love affair with Marcus collapses (as you know it should), for the first time in her life, she's completely alone.

As a golden child, beautiful, popular, and all the other cliches, Darcy doesn't deal well with her life falling completely and utterly apart. She goes off to stay in London with a childhood friend and, of course, ends up finding love and happiness in the end. And thankfully, two books later, Rachel and Darcy sort of make up, which is nice too. All in all, both novels were 'brainless' books—things I read as easily as I would watching a rerun of Friends.

You know, thank goodness for EW's Chicklit 101 or else I'd have no idea what books to read in that particular genre. And is it established enough to call itself a genre? Huh, that's something I might mull over for a while today...

Annnywaaay, the Book A Day challenge is going well, I think. I've managed to keep it up for four days and have read some good books. I've started a more substantial book for tomorrow's entry, Intuition by Allegra Goodman.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...