Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Zee Blood, It Is Missing?

My second visit to the super-fancy disease doctor in as many weeks was kind of funny in a scary sort of way. They're convinced that the wonky blood work results are from the meds. Instead of making me better, I'm just falling down a pretty dangerous path.

Ragdoll: "I just don't feel like I'm getting any better."

Super-Fancy Disease Doctor: "You're not. We're making you sicker."

It's a weird bit of irony I think that what's saving my life is actually bringing me closer to the brink of death. Take this stat for example: My red blood cell count (your hemoglobin) normally runs at 125; right now it's a 82.

Ragdoll: "I'm just so tired all the time. I can't even walk up a flight of stairs without being totally exhausted."

Super-Fancy Disease Doctor: "That doesn't surprise me. It's as if you've lost 1/3 of your blood over the last three weeks."

Barring any gashing wounds I don't know about, how exactly does 1/3 of your blood just leave your body? Where does it go? What happens to it? Did it just get up and walk out of my body when I wasn't looking? And whose going to find it? How do I get it back?

The only other couple of times I've been anemic have been the result of surgeries (both hip-related, of course). The only other time the blood mysteriously disappeared was when I first got sick. But then I was a crazy dancer girl who never ate and thought Diet Coke was a complete meal. Now, I'm hearty -- my blood shouldn't go missing and leave cottage cheese thighs in its place.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...