Saturday, March 11, 2006

Hey! My Books Are On The Shelf...There

I've been off sick from work the past week trying to find my blood. Er, well, finding the energy to try and find my blood might be a more adequate way of putting it. I spent most of the mornings at home puttering because we didn't have a computer until today (yay!). The prednisone, in addition to making my cheeks puffy, is now keeping me awake. So, I get up around 6 AM and can't get back to sleep. There's only so much television you can watch, only so long you can sit on the couch before you think, "a walk might be good." Or "maybe I can handle a matinee today."

So I saw Match Point, which I found deeply sexist and kind of frustrating. Granted it's Woody Allen's best picture in years and I can see why so many critics liked it. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I'm going to leave it at the fact that despite the overarching comparisons to Crime and Punishment and more than adequate performances the movie still falls flat.

Okay, well, I'm going to say one thing, if you've seen Unfaithful, then you can probably guess the part of the film that totally annoyed me. In the end, I crave emotional conflict on the screen, and the film never really gave it to me. It was nuanced and from an interesting perspective, but felt a bit outdated in terms of both the characterization (yawn Scarlett Johansson) and the dialogue.

Yesterday I went to go see Failure to Launch. Oh. Boy. By the end, I was kind of charmed, but all in all, it's a totally mediocre film too.

Annnywaaay. While I was waiting for my friend before seeing Allen's film, I browsed through the local bookstore in the mall. To this day, I'd never actually seen any of the Classic Starts in the store, and I have to admit, it was kind of thrilling seeing some copies of my own books up there on the shelves for kids to discover and their parents to (hopefully) buy. In fact, it was more than kind of thrilling, it was pretty damn cool.

No comments:

My Boy is Ten

My friend Heather took this photo a couple of weekends ago. We went for a walk in the woods. It was a bit cold at first, neither my boy nor ...